Editor’s notice: As 2022 involves an in depth, we’re wanting again on the tales that outlined Austin this 12 months, and that features journey — out and in of the Capital Metropolis. Austinites have been most inquisitive about getting out and seeing the world, whether or not that was by means of expanded air routes or causes to go to the remainder of Texas. Listed here are the highest 10 journey headlines of 2022.
1. Texas’ largest crystal lagoon dives into summer time with floating cabanas and extra. Lagoonfest Texas returned for its third 12 months with crystal-blue water, white seashores, and the favourite aquabanas — the floating cabanas. The pageant ran Memorial Day weekend by means of Labor Day within the Houston suburb of Texas Metropolis. Guests noticed cabanas on the seaside and on the water and the biggest inflatable impediment course within the nation positioned on a crystal lagoon.
2. Texas airport lands first coveted 5-star ranking in North America. William P. Interest Airport scored a prestigious 5-Star Airport standing within the Skytrax World Airport Star Score for 2022. That makes Interest the primary airport in Texas, the U.S., and North America — and one in all simply 16 airports the world over — to land the ranking. Within the new survey, Interest soared in all 29 ranking classes.
William P. Interest Airport ascended past the fundamentals.
Picture by Nash Baker
3. Austin lands first nonstop flight to scorching Caribbean vacation spot this summer time. American Airways added two worldwide seaside locations — each within the Caribbean — to its Austin route map. Starting in June, American launched year-round, once-a-week nonstop service from Austin to Montego Bay, Jamaica, and from Austin to Cozumel, Mexico. American turned the primary airline to fly between Austin and Jamaica.
4. Austin airport flies away with new nonstops to 2 in style occasions this spring. American Airways added short-term nonstop service this 12 months to Louisville, Kentucky, for the Kentucky Derby and to Augusta, Georgia, for the Masters golf match.
5. $36 million waterfront resort splashes into charming Hill Nation city. The $36 million venture will function an upscale 123-room Tapestry Assortment by Hilton resort and greater than 14,000 sq. ft of assembly and occasion house, together with a predominant ballroom and junior ballroom. A rooftop venue measuring about 4,000 sq. ft is bound to be a serious spotlight. The almost three-acre property is predicted to open in early 2024, near the banks of Lake Marble Falls.
6. Buc-ee’s artwork set up mysteriously seems within the West Texas desert. In April, a tiny Buc-ee’s — with no gasoline pumps, glowing bogs, or Beaver Nuggets — confirmed up in a distant spot alongside U.S. Freeway 90 about 20 miles east of Marathon. It was paying homage to the everlasting Prada retailer reproduction, courting again to 2005, that stands about 25 miles northwest of Marfa. Go to Marathon, Texas introduced by way of social media that the tiny Buc-ee’s had been eliminated
7. 6 Austin motels verify in amongst nation’s greatest in prestigious U.S. Information rating. A number of Austin properties — together with the historic Commodore Perry Property, Auberge Resorts Assortment — ranked among the many greatest, in accordance with U.S. Information & World Report’s new listing of the perfect motels within the nation. Commodore Perry Property was named the No. 2 Texas property, the highest Texas resort, and the fortieth greatest resort within the U.S.
The Commodore Perry Property is without doubt one of the greatest motels on the earth.
Courtesy of Commodore Perry Property, Auberge Resorts Assortment
8. Austin lands first nonstop flight to prime Colorado vacation spot this winter. In December, American Airways began nonstop service between Austin-Bergstrom Worldwide Airport and Eagle County Regional Airport in Vail. No different airline provides nonstop service between the 2 cities.
9. Austin airport flies away with 2 new nonstops to in style summer time playgrounds. The seasonal flights have been from Austin to John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, California, and Bozeman Yellowstone Worldwide Airport in Bozeman, Montana. As well as, American relaunched nonstop service from Austin to Destin-Fort Walton Seashore Airport, alongside the Florida Panhandle.
10. Texas’ Huge Bend named one of many world’s must-see locations for 2023. Nationwide Geographic Journey included the huge pure marvel in its latest Better of the World 2023 listing. The annual listing rounds up 25 world locations “below the radar, forward of the curve, and prepared so that you can begin exploring,” in accordance with the article. Nationwide Geographic editors framed the listing inside 5 classes: Group, Nature, Tradition, Household, and Journey.