Going to the airport is usually a frightening job. Between lengthy safety strains and the crowds within the terminal, giving your self sufficient time to make it to your gate is crucial.
In a 2022 research, the journey consultants at Upgraded Factors analyzed 15 elements at 50 main U.S. airports to search out those the place it is most vital for passengers to reach early for home flights.
- variety of enplanements
- variety of passengers
- airport measurement
- common TSA wait time
- variety of terminals
- variety of gates
- variety of airport workers
- variety of airport lounges
- variety of eating places/bars
- variety of retailers
- variety of parking tons/decks
- proportion of on-time departures
- proportion of delayed departures
- automotive visitors quantity
- automotive visitors index
The research discovered that the airports the place passengers want probably the most time earlier than boarding are Chicago O’Hare Worldwide Airport (ORD), Los Angeles Worldwide Airport (LAX), and John F. Kennedy Worldwide Airport (JFK).
The airport the place passengers need not arrive as early and ranked on the backside of the record was John Glenn Columbus Worldwide Airport (CMH) in Columbus, Ohio.
The 15 U.S. airports the place you must arrive the earliest
- Chicago O’Hare Worldwide Airport (ORD): 3 hrs 4 minutes
- Los Angeles Worldwide Airport (LAX): 2 hrs 59 minutes
- John F. Kennedy Worldwide Airport (JFK): 2 hrs 58 minutes
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH): 2 hrs 55 minutes
- Dallas/Fort Value Worldwide Airport (DFW): 2 hrs 50 minutes
- Miami Worldwide Airport (MIA): 2 hrs 48 minutes
- San Francisco Worldwide Airport (SFO): 2 hrs 45 minutes
- Charlotte Douglas Worldwide Airport (CLT): 2 hrs 45 minutes
- Philadelphia Worldwide Airport (PHL): 2 hrs 44 minutes
- Newark Liberty Worldwide Airport (EWR): 2 hrs 41 minutes
- Seattle-Tacoma Worldwide Airport (SEA): 2 hrs 39 minutes
- Orlando Worldwide Airport (MCO): 2 hrs 36 minutes
- Boston Logan Worldwide Airport (BOS): 2 hrs 33 minutes
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Worldwide Airport (ATL): 2 hrs 31 minutes
- Denver Worldwide Airport (DEN): 2 hrs 30 minutes
Upgraded Factors’ research discovered that flying out of the Chicago O’Hare Worldwide Airport (ORD) requires passengers to reach 3 hours and 4 minutes early to board easily.
In 2021, the airport recorded a whopping 54,020,399 passengers. ORD additionally has 193 gates, greater than some other airport included within the research. Upgraded Factors additionally discovered that the airport is understaffed, with 3,606 badged airport workers per sq. mile, which is 9% beneath the nationwide common.
The next two airports almost tied for second and third place: LAX and JFK. Based mostly on the rating, passengers ought to arrive at LAX 2 hours and 59 minutes earlier than their scheduled departure. With over eight terminals, 146 gates, and an amazing variety of automotive visitors exterior the airport, it is no marvel individuals want further time to get to their designated boarding areas.
JFK was an in depth third, with passengers anticipated to reach 2 hours and 58 minutes earlier than their scheduled departure. The typical TSA wait time on the NYC airport is 16.40 minutes, and in 2021, the airport reported it had over 30 million passengers.
Enroll now: Get smarter about your cash and profession with our weekly e-newsletter
Do not miss:
Lisbon and Mexico Metropolis are on vacationers’ want lists for 2023: These are the highest 10 trending trip locations
Delta is rolling out free Wi-Fi for all vacationers: Right here’s how to enroll